You may have heard about isotonic exercises before but do you know how to do them? In this article, let us get ourselves acquainted with isotonic exercises. Read on to know more.
What Are Isotonic Exercises?
Isotonic exercise is that type of exercise where the muscle carries a certain amount of static weight over a specific range of motion. You can use free weights or fixed weight for this. The exercises which include lifting weights, rock climbing, cycling are all isotonic exercises.
The main advantage of isotonic exercise is that it helps in building stamina and resistance. It helps one to lose weight and get into better shape.
1. Lie down on your back. Make sure your spine is in neutral position and not arched or bent. Bend your legs at right angles and then push your feet slowly upwards. Hold on to your abs while doing so. You will eventually feel pressure on your calves. Keep going upwards and downwards for 20 times.
[ Read: Yoga Exercises For Slimming Your Face ]
2. Here’s an exercise to strengthen your knees. Sit on a chair. Now put your feet straight, away from your body. Then contract the thigh muscles and lift your legs until they are parallel to the ground. Hold onto this position for 10 minutes, then release the muscles and get back to normal.
3. To strengthen the shoulder muscles, make a fist of one of your palms and place it in front of the other palm. Hold this position in front of your chest. Then apply pressure on the palm and fist. You will start feeling a stretch around your shoulders. Release after 10 minutes and repeat.
4. To strengthen the muscles of the hips and thighs, perform squats with your heels under the hips and toes pointed out. Then push your hips behind and make the hip crease below the knee crease. Hold the squat for 5 minutes and release.
5. Here’s an isotonic exercise to strengthen the knee and calf muscles. Sit on a chair and hold a pillow in between. Then release the hands, and try to hold and squeeze the pillow using only the knees. This will help knee replacement patients to a great extent.
6. Lie on the floor or a mat. Bend your legs with your feet flat on the floor or mat. Place your arms down on the mat on each side of the hips. Lift your hips off the floor, keeping your spine neutral. Hold onto your abs. This will strengthen the abs and the hips.
[ Read: Best Vigorous Exercises ]
7. You can do the plank exercise to strengthen the abs. Lie with your face down against the floor. Push up your body using the palms and make it rest on the toes and elbows. Hold the position for as long as you can and release slowly.
8. Abdominal vacuum:
This dynamic isotonic exercise is meant to strengthen your abs. Sit on the edge of a chair and exhale out all the air from the body. Then pull in your stomach so much that your navel seems to touch your spine. Don’t hold your breath; take small breaths but don’t inhale too much air. Stay in this position for 30 seconds. This will help in contracting and stretching the abdominal muscles.
This is meant to strengthen the abdominal as well as the calf muscles. Contract your abdominal muscles and do sprint cycling at full speed for 3 minutes and then slow down for 2 minutes. Repeat for 4 times every day.
10. To strengthen the spine:
Bend down and touch your toes. If you can touch them already, try putting your palms flat on the floor. Stretch as much as you can and stay in this position for 30 seconds. Release.
[ Read: Top 10 Workout Videos ]
Hope you would find this post helpful. Leave us your feedback below.