We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Real talk: Admitting you can’t tie a tie can sometimes be a little embarrassing. Unless you’re the kind of guy who wears a suit and tie every day, it’s easy to forget how to tie that sucker into the perfect dapper knot. If you already have a headache trying to remember the last formal event you had, or this is your first time going for a major professional look, we’ve put together some easy-to-remember steps to pulling off a half-Windsor knot. It’s one of the easiest knots to make, and it gives you a great medium-sized knot on skinny ties (super wide ties are a serious no-no, guys). Ch-Ch-Check it out!
1. You want to hang the tie around your neck with the wider side longer than the narrow side. We’re talking like 12 inches — or about double the length! The right length can vary depending on the tie, so don’t be too hard on yourself if you wind up at this first step for a second time.
2. Cross over the wider end of your tie over the narrow end (super easy step here!).
3. Wrap the wider end under the narrow end and pull it through the other side (cue Adele’s “Hello from the other side” as a trick to remember).
4. Now, you’re going to pull up the wider end towards the neck loop.
5. Pull the tie through that neck loop and towards the opposite side you had it before. (Stay cool — we’re almost there!)
6. Wrap the wide end of the tie over the front.
7. Time to pull up the wide end through the neck loop up toward your chin.
8. Pull your tie through the loop and downward. (Almost there!)
9. This is when you flip your collar down, adjust the tie toward the collar, and tighten the knot for perfect shape. If your narrow end extends past the wide end, you need to redo it and make the wide end longer (it happens to the best of us).
10. Finally, add a tie bar between the third and fourth button of your shirt. Not only will this keep your tie in place, but it keeps your tie attached to your shirt. And of course, do a happy dance for your polished AF look!
Shop The Look:
Tie Bar: The Tie Bar 3 Pack