You have an important occasion coming your way, and you want to wear your favorite dress. But unfortunately, it doesn’t fit you anymore. Such a disappointment! Clearly, you need to lose that extra flab to fit into that dress. And to do that easily, try the banana-milk diet. It is an effective weight loss method that you need to follow for 3 to 4 days to see incredible results. It was developed by Dr. George Harrop in 1934 for diabetic patients, which has now become a popular quick weight loss diet plan. Remember, this is a fad diet and should not be followed for more than 4 days. Keeping that in mind, read on to find out how to go about the banana and milk diet. But first, let me give you a few facts.
How The Banana And Milk Diet Promotes Weight Loss
The banana and milk diet is based on a simple principle – low-calorie and highly nutritious foods to whittle the flab away. You will consume 2-3 bananas and 2-3 cups of full-fat milk 3 times a day. Each banana contains around 100 calories, and a cup of milk contains not more than 80 calories. Hence, consuming a meal of this diet thrice would not let you have more than 1000 calories per day.
We emphasize on full-fat milk because research has proven that it is full-fat milk that aids weight loss and not the low-fat version (1). You can have the banana after or before consuming milk or even blend them together. Moreover, along with banana and milk, you will consume a few other protein-rich and fiber-rich foods that will help you lose the fat quickly without making you feel starved. And finally, you will drink enough water to keep yourself hydrated and flush out toxins.
Main Idea – You will consume about 1000 calories per day – 3 times banana and milk per day and other healthy foods – and keep yourself hydrated to shed fat quickly.
Now, the question is, why a banana? Why not any other fruit? Well, here’s the answer.
Banana’s Portion Of Benefits
- Bananas, as we all know, are highly nutritious fruits that are rich in vitamins, dietary fiber, and minerals, especially potassium (about 422 mg in one banana), which is vital for the normal functioning of the body (2).
- They also contain fiber (about 3 gms in one banana) that helps the body get rid of the accumulated toxins (3).
- They also give a satiated feeling, making one feel full for a long time.
- Above all, they are tasty and consuming them is easy.
Milk’s Portion Of Benefits
- Milk is a quintessential element of our daily diet. It is rich in calcium and proteins that help strengthen the bones and muscles (4).
- Apart from retaining bone strength, calcium also helps in cell signaling, parathyroid hormone balancing, and regulating protein functions (5).
- Full-fat milk helps reduce central obesity (6).
- Milk also helps to lower blood pressure, regulate insulin production, and scavenge reactive oxygen species (ROS) (7).
- Milk helps improve metabolic rate (8).
Now that you know the health benefits of banana and milk, let me tell you what will happen when you consume them together.
Combined Benefits Of Banana And Milk
- Put together, bananas and milk provide the body with ample doses of proteins, vitamins, dietary fiber, and minerals.
- The nutrients received from this diet are enough to supply the body with a sufficient amount of energy to sustain it for a period of 3 to 4 days.
So, it is clear that following the banana and milk diet for 3-4 days will not harm you, provided you follow a good diet plan. And to do that, you must scroll down as I have prepared a well-balanced banana and milk diet plan for you.
Banana And Milk Sample Diet Chart
|Meals||What To Eat|
|Early Morning (6:00 – 7:30 am)||1 cup water with 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds soaked overnight|
|Breakfast (7:00 – 8:30 am)||1 cup full-fat milk + 1 banana + 1 boiled egg|
|Mid Morning (10:00 – 11:00 am)||1 cup green tea + 2 almonds|
|Lunch (12:30 – 1:30 pm)||1 cup full-fat milk + 1 banana|
|Evening Snack (4:00 – 4:30 pm)||1 cup freshly pressed fruit juice or 1 cup coconut water|
|Dinner (7:00 – 7:30 pm)||A small cup of sauteed or grilled veggies + 1 banana + 1 cup warm milk|
How This Diet Chart Works
Fenugreek seeds help to improve metabolism, and drinking water first thing in the morning will help flush out toxins. A boiled egg along with milk and banana will keep your hunger pangs at bay and give your body a good dose of protein. Green tea will help scavenge the free oxygen radicals and suppress your appetite. Almonds are rich in healthy fats that help reduce inflammation, thereby preventing inflammation-induced obesity. For lunch, have a banana and a cup of milk to keep your calorie count low. Freshly pressed juice will provide your body with vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. If you choose to drink coconut water, it will provide your body with natural electrolytes, keep you hydrated, and flush out toxins. Have a small cup of sautéed veggies along with banana and milk for dinner so that you don’t feel hungry soon and give in to your late night food cravings.
Here are a few more tips to make the banana and milk diet work for you.
Tips To Make The Banana And Milk Diet Work For You
- Apart from watching what you eat, you must also do some light exercises. Do not opt for HIIT or weightlifting as you will be on a very low-calorie diet. You can do yoga and meditation.
- Avoid refined sugar, aerated drinks, packaged foods and drinks, fried foods, and unhealthy snacks.
- You can make banana and milk smoothie in case you get bored of consuming milk and banana separately.
- Drink at least 3 liters of water per day.
- Sleep for 7-8 hours.
- Keep the stress away by not worrying too much about your weight.
- Stop this diet immediately if you feel weak and consult a doctor for further advice.
- After the 4th day of this diet, you must follow a healthy diet and exercise to prevent gaining the weight back.
Some Points Of Caution
The banana and milk diet regimen can be followed by anyone who wants to lose weight in an emergency situation. However, there are a few things that one should keep in mind while following it:
- Initially, one might feel a bit weak as the calorie intake gets drastically reduced during this diet. The weakness is not difficult enough to manage, but in case it gets tough to manage, you could consume one proper meal per day.
- Women shouldn’t follow the banana-milk diet during their menstrual cycle. This diet lacks minerals like iron, zinc, copper, and some vitamins that are quite important to be consumed during this period. But, if the diet has to be followed at this time, make sure you have some vitamin and mineral supplements along with it.
- The banana-milk diet plan should not be followed for more than 4 days as some of the vital elements required for the body are missing in it. Following this diet for 4 days helps one lose around 4 kg of body weight easily. If one wants to lose more weight, he/she could take a gap of about one week and undertake another round of this diet plan.
Keeping these points in mind, try the banana and milk diet to shed the extra inches successfully and fit into your favorite dress without wearing an uncomfortable body shaper. Banana and milk are both healthy and a great way to lose weight quickly for an upcoming event. Start today and see the results in just 3 days. Good luck!